(Edit 19/07/17, Our original link no longer works, but we found another that does… 🙂
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED – WATCH TWICE AND SHARE WITH FRIENDS AND DOUBTERS!
Dr Salim Yusuf speaking at the Cardiology Update 2017 symposium gives preliminary findings from the PURE study which followed 140,000 people in 17 countries, designed to address causation of cardiovascular disease.
He explains that the results indicate:
- Greater fat intake is protective
- Carbohydrates are harmful
- High fat dairy is beneficial
- Saturated fat from meat is neutral
- Fruit is beneficial, but no additional benefit over 2 portions per day
- Legumes are beneficial
- 3 to 6 g/day sodium* intake optimal (vs US guidelines of 1.5g)
- Eggs, fish and vegetables were neutral
Correction: I previously wrote 3 to 6 grams of salt per day, but have corrected this to 3 to 6 grams of sodium per day. This is equivalent to 7.5 to 15 g of salt per day.